This Apple Cinnamon Amaranth Porridge recipe is a creamy breakfast porridge that is perfect for chilly mornings.
Amaranth is a tiny seed that is packed with protein, calcium, and fiber. When cooked, it has a flavor similar to quinoa. Cooked in water or milk, amaranth will form a sticky porridge similar to cream of wheat, which is perfect for a hearty breakfast! Thanks to our friends at The Institute of Functional Medicine for sharing this tasty recipe!
Ingredients: (Servings: 4, Calories: 203)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup amaranth
- 1 large apple, skin on, cored and diced
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
Other desired toppings:
- Fresh fruit: strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, peaches
- Dried fruit: cranberries, raisins, apricots
- In a medium saucepan, add all ingredients and bring to a boil. Stir frequently.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer (covered) for 20-25 minutes until amaranth is soft.
[maxbutton id=”4″ url=”https://thrivecarolinas.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Apple-Cinnamon-Amaranth-Porridge.pdf” text=”Download Printable Version” ]
Note(s): This can be made the night before and reheated in the morning. Store any leftovers in airtight glass container in refrigerator for up to 5 days. Serve with coconut or almond milk added to desired thickness. Add a small amount of stevia if more sweetness is desired. Optionally, serve topped with walnuts.