Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Kebobs
Summer is right around the corner and it’s time to start thinking about healthy grilling!
This recipe is one of my favorites. It’s full of flavor, and healthy natural herbs. Don’t be afraid to modify, one of my favorite adds to this recipe is to add a big bunch of German Thyme to the marinade.
Adding simple cucumber tzatziki is a nice way to add some fresh flavor to this recipe. Give it a try this weekend!
Ingredients: (Servings: 10 skewers, Calories: 228, Time: 55 minutes) Chicken Kebabs:
- 3 chicken fillets cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 red onion
Chicken Kebab Marinade:
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil divided
- Juice of 1 lemon divided
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped divided
- 2 teaspoons paprika divided
- 2 teaspoons thyme divided
- 4 teaspoons oregano divided
- 4 teaspoons salt divided
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper divided
- Mix 1⁄2 of all ingredients for the marinade in small bowl. Place chicken in a ziplock bag and pour marinade over it. Marinade in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix the other HALF of the ingredients in the same bowl pour into a ziplock bag with the vegetables. Marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- If you are using wood skewers, while the chicken and veggies are marinating, soak the skewers in water for about 15 minutes. You need to soak wooden skewers in water for about 20-30 minutes to keep them from igniting right there on the grill. (I have also noticed that it is much easier to slide out the meat and veggies on your plate if the skewers have been soaked before grilling.)
- Thread the chicken and peppers and onions on the skewers. I usually place about 5-6 chicken pieces and a combo of peppers and onion in between.
- Heat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan over medium-high heat. Spray the grates lightly with oil and grill for about 5 minutes on each side, or until the center is no longer pink.
- You can also bake these Mediterranean chicken skewers in the oven if you want to. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place chicken skewers on roasting racks over two foil-lined baking sheets and bake for about 10-15 minutes, turn over once and bake for another 10-15 minutes on the other side, or until they are baked through