Creamy Turkey Wild Rice Soup
November 22, 2022
If you’re anything like us, you have plenty of Thanksgiving turkey leftovers.
Try using that leftover turkey in this yummy soup recipe that is healthy and hearty!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chopped leftover turkey, white and dark
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 1 tbsp fresh finely chopped sage (or 1 tsp dried – optional)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup cashew milk
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over med-high heat. Add mushrooms, cooking for 2-3 minutes until mushrooms release juices. Add onions, garlic, celery, and carrots, cooking another 5 minutes until vegetables soften.
- Add chicken and saute for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned. Add Italian seasoning, salt & pepper, chicken broth, and rice, stirring and bringing to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, then cover the pot with a lid and cook for 40 minutes until rice is cooked through. Add cashew milk and mix well.
- Stir in fresh (or dried) sage, if using, along with lemon juice. Serve and enjoy! Soup will last in the fridge for up to 5 days, or you can freeze it in glass bowls with lids for up to 3 months.
For cashew milk can buy or can soak cashews for at least 2 hours or, better yet, overnight. Drain, and put in a high-speed blender with a 1 to 2 ratio of cashews to filtered water.