Autumn marks the apple season. Savor the simplicity and comfort of this delightful crisp.
- 6 to 8 medium apples (Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, Jonagold, or a mix), cored and diced, about 6 cups
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tbs. cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1 tbs. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup of almond slices
- 2 T flour (can substitute gluten-free)
- 1/2 t salt
- 4-5 T organic liquid coconut oil
- Mix apples with syrup and spices and ensure they are covered well. Add the 3 T of cornstarch to the water and mix well. Add the mixture to the apples and mix well. Add the lemon juice and mix well. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Combine oats, sugar, almonds, flour, and salt in a separate bowl. Mix well. Drizzle the coconut oil while mixing the ingredients well, incorporating the oil.
- Coat a casserole dish with a thin layer of coconut oil. Place the apples into the dish and top with the oat mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream or yogurt.