With school back in session, mornings can get hectic, but if you make these breakfast muffins ahead, you will have a healthy morning start when teamed with a side of fruit.
Much better than sugary cereal or bagel!!!
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 8 Baby Bella Mushroom caps, minced
- 1 small green pepper minced
- 1 medium Roma tomato, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup baby spinach chopped
- 1 T minced fresh basil or 2 t dried
- 8-9 large organic eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk (can use nondairy as a substitute if desired)
- 1 T hot sauce (we used Cholula Hot Sauce)
- 5 slices of nitrate-free bacon, cooked and chopped into smaller pieces
- 3⁄4 cup shredded Manchego cheese and an additional 1⁄4 cup for topping muffins
- 2 T olive oil
- 1⁄2 t red pepper flakes
- 1t salt
- 1⁄2 t pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- To save time, you can place vegetables in a food processor to mince.
- Place oil in a pan over low heat. Add garlic and onion and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Cook for another minute. Add pepper, basil, mushrooms, and spinach, and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add tomato and cook for another minute.
- Drain vegetables if needed. Meanwhile, break eggs into a bowl and whisk well. Add milk and hot sauce and mix again. Add vegetables and bacon to the egg mixture. Stir in shredded cheese and mix through.
- Ladle the egg mixture into muffin tins filling 3⁄4 of the way. Top each muffin with a few shreds of cheese. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until slightly browned on top. Remove from oven and allow 5 minutes to cool.
- Can store muffins in a container, refrigerated for up to 5 days.