Easy Paleo Sweet Potato Casserole (Dairy Free & Gluten Free)
November 17, 2021
This sweet potato casserole is healthier than the classic version, without sacrificing any flavor! Complete with a crunchy maple cayenne pecan topping, this casserole is the perfect Thanksgiving sweet potato side dish. Vegan option included!
Recipe Courtesy of Mary’s Whole Life
- 3-4 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks, about 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup ghee or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk, or any dairy-free milk
- 2 eggs, omit for vegan or use flax eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 cups raw unsalted pecans, chopped
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp melted ghee or coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat over to 375. Grease a 3 qt casserole dish with cooking spray or ghee. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the peeled sweet potato chunks and cover. Cook until fork-tender (10-15 minutes). Drain and add them to a large bowl.
- Add coconut sugar, ghee (or coconut oil), coconut milk, vanilla, and sea salt. Let the mixture cool a bit before pouring in the eggs so they don’t cook! Add in eggs and beat everything together well. Pour into the greased casserole dish.
- Combine all topping ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Spread evenly over the top of the casserole. Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Keep an eye on the pecans – if they begin to get too brown, simply add the foil back on top. Serve and enjoy!