Summer is here and with it comes Farmers Markets! We love spending weekends at the market hunting for fresh produce and our meats. Below are some resources and recipes for some of the more popular items you can get fresh from the ground this time of year at your local farmers’ market!
Charlottes Farmers Markets
- Charlotte Regional Farmers Market
- 1801 Yorkmount Road Charlotte
- Atherton Mill Market
- 2104 South Blvd Charlotte
- Matthews Community Farmers Market
- 188 N Trade St Matthews
- Kings Drive Farmers Market
- 939 S. Kings Drive Charlotte
- Cotswold Farmers Market
- 309 S Sharon Amity Road
What to buy & eat now
Availability for May, June & July
- Greens ( Kale )
- Bok Choy
- Snow Peas
Kale Salad with Spiced Roasted Chickpeas and Strawberries
- 1 T olive oil
- ½ t lemon zest and 1 ½ t lemon juice
- ¼ t kosher salt
- ¼ t pepper
- 2 cups lacinato kale
- ½ cup cucumbers
- 1 cup strawberries sliced
- ½ yellow pepper thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup roasted chickpeas (recipe follows)
- 2 T coarsely chopped roasted almonds
Whisk together olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add kale and massage until it is lightly wilted. Add cucumbers and strawberries and peppers toss to coat. Arrange on a plate and toss with chickpeas and almonds.
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ T olive oil
- ½ t smoked paprika
- ¼ t salt
- ¼ t cayenne pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spread chickpeas on paper towels and pat dry. Drizzle or spray with oil. Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake for 30 min. Remove from oven and sprinkle with paprika, salt, and cayenne pepper mixture. Return to oven and bake an additional 20 minutes until crispy.
- 3-4 kohlrabi bulbs
- 1 T avocado oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup grated Parrano cheese (can substitute parmesan)
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Cut Kohlrabi bulb into slices then slices into 4 portions. Toss with oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes. Take out of the oven and sprinkle cheese on slices. Return to oven for 5-8 minutes.
Stir Fry Baby Bok Choy and Snow Peas
- 1 T sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 t grated ginger
- ½ lb snow peas
- 1.2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 T oyster sauce
- ½ t toasted sesame oil
- 1 T sesame seeds and ½ cup shelled edamame (optional)
Add oil, garlic, and ginger to the pan and heat to medium-high heat. When oil gets hot and fragrant add bok choy and snow peas. Stir to coat. Stir fry for one minute. Add stock and oyster sauce. Bring to a boil. Place on a serving platter and drizzle with toasted sesame oil, edamame, and seeds. Serve immediately.
Yellow Rice and Black Beans with Broccoli
- 1 large shallot
- 1 t minced fresh ginger
- 2 T nutritional yeast
- 2 t white miso paste
- 1 ¼ in fresh turmeric, grated ( or ¼ t ground )
- ½ t ground coriander
- ¼ t cumin
- 1/8 t cayenne pepper
- 1 cup long-grain brown, red or black rice
- 2 ½ cups Vegetable Broth
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 ½ cups cooked or BPA free canned black beans, drained and rinsed
Heat 2 tablespoons of water in a large skillet. Add shallots and ginger and cook for a minute. Stir in the miso, yeast, turmeric, coriander, cumin cayenne, and rice. Mix and well. Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to simmer, cover and cook for 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally or until rice is just tender. Stir in the cut-up broccoli and a little more broth if needed. Cook for 10 minutes longer or until all liquid is absorbed and broccoli and rice are tender. Stir in black beans and remove from heat. Serve hot.
Roasted Beets with Orange and Thyme
- 1 bunch of beets ( 1 ½ lbs)
- 1 t honey
- 1 t EVOO
- ¼ c orange juice, fresh
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 t orange zest
- 3 T balsamic vinegar or vinegar
- 2 t thyme leaves, chopped
- Garnish – chopped parsley
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wash and peel beets, drizzle with EVOO and salt and pepper. Wrap in tin foil. Roast 30-40 minutes until tender. Cool. Cut into 1-inch pieces. Place in a large bowl. Drizzle with balsamic, orange juice, honey, and mix well. Add thyme and orange zest, and mix through.
Can also sprinkle with goat and ground pistachios.
Fresh Blueberries with Cashew Cream
- 2 cups washed blueberries
- Top with cashew cream.
- 1 cup cashews soaked for 3 hours then drained
- ½ – ¾ cup of filtered water
- 2-4 T honey or maple syrup
- 1/2t vanilla
- ½ t lemon zest ( optional )
Add soaked cashews to the blender. Add ½ cup water, 2 T honey ½ t vanilla, and lemon zest, and blend. Add additional water to get the desired consistency. Add additional honey to get the desired sweetness.