Experience India’s rich and comforting flavors with our hearty Lentil Dal recipe, a nourishing and delicious dish.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 t turmeric
- 1-inch piece of ginger peeled and minced
- 1 t cumin
- 1 onion, chopped ½ T salt
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ t pepper
- 1 banana pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup rinsed & drained brown lentils
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 t olive oil
- ¼ c cilantro to garnish
- ½ cup yogurt cheese or sour cream to garnish
- In a food processor, pulse together garlic, ginger, and onion; add Peppers and jalapeno until finely chopped
- Heat oil in a medium pan. Add chopped vegetables, turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook until all vegetables are soft but not browned. (about 3 minutes) Stir in lentils and 3 ½ cups of distilled water.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for one hour and 15 minutes. Uncover and remove from heat.
- Using a potato masher, mash lentils until mostly smooth. Stir in lemon juice. Top eat serving with yogurt and cilantro.