Salad Greens with Roasted Beets, Oranges, Pickled Onions, Walnuts, Goat Cheese and Balsamic Vinegarette
Do not be intimidated by the steps with this salad. It is well worth it. Packed with many phytonutrients and antioxidants, this nutrient-dense salad will get you extra credit on nutrition.
You may choose to make the beets and pickled onions a day ahead, so it will be easy to throw the salad together at dinnertime.
- 2 golden beets, scrubbed, peeled, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Juice of one navel orange
- 1T orange zest
- 1 T honey
- 3⁄4 t sea salt
- 1⁄4 t ground pepper
- Line a baking dish with aluminum foil. Scatter cut-up beets on foil. Combine juice, zest, honey, and seasonings in the dish. Drizzle over beets and top with the second sheet of aluminum foil, forming a pouch by sealing sides. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for one hour. Cool in the refrigerator.
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced ( 1/8 inch slices)
- 1⁄2 c filtered water
- 1⁄4 c apple cider vinegar
- 1 T honey
- 1 t sea salt
- 1⁄4 t red pepper flakes
- Place sliced onions in a glass dish with a tight cover or a canning jar. Put remaining ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until honey is combined. Pour liquid over onions to cover. Allow them to cool, cover and place in the fridge. These can be used on salad, but there will be leftovers for sandwiches or tacos or as a condiment.
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T orange juice
- 1 t Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a dressing carafe or small jar and mix well. Set aside.
- 3- 4 cups of baby greens and arugula, washed and dried
- 1⁄2 cup walnut pieces, toasted in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes
- 1 orange cut into sections then halved
- 1/3 cup organic dried cranberries
- 4 oz goat cheese crumbles
- Place greens on a salad plate. Top with beets, walnuts, pickled onions, and orange sections. Drizzle with dressing and top with goat cheese crumbles.