Thriver Spotlight, Nancy Palermo, M.D.
She’s one of the visionaries behind Thrive and one of the first providers in Charlotte to call themselves a Certified Functional Medicine provider. Nancy Palermo is no stranger to the medical field or healing patients. Let’s learn a bit more about her in this Thriver Spotlight.
What is your superpower at Thrive?
- Working in an environment where I can finally make a difference and help patients the way I always expected I would.
Why did you choose the field of Medicine
- I always wanted to do something that involved education, creating art and helping others. Initially, as a child I was sure I would be a teacher – then I transitioned into writing and art. My desire to enter the medical field came later in life when I found I could combine all of my interests and also help others to achieve health.
What’s your educational background?
- Undergraduate: Sweet Briar College VA
- Medical School: Morsani School of Medicine Tampa FL
- Residency: Eastern Virginia School of Medicine
What’s so special about Thrive?
- The environment is so healing and empowering. Everyone who enters the doors of Thrive, patients, advocates, nurses, and physicians- want something more. They want to provide optimal health and want to be in an environment that it can be achieved. Each of these individuals is a component of Thrive’s success.
Where did you grow up?
- Melbourne Beach FL
Any Activities/Hobbies outside of Thrive?
- Art-Oil Painting; Tennis; Running and Fitness; Cooking of course!!
If you could recommend one thing to someone new coming to thrive it would be?
- Believe in your ability to heal yourself. We at Thrive are simply your coaches. It is you who has the power to make a difference in your health.
What is your definition of Functional Medicine?
- Answering “why” a problem exists and getting to the root of why something is happening and doing something about it to change the direction.
The best part about an appointment? What is the best piece of information you could give to a new patient?
- You will be heard. A big part of your first appointment is getting to tell your story. Many times when we give patients a chance to tell their story they help us as physicians come up with solutions.
What’s on your Netflix Que?
- Documentaries, especially involving healthcare and its issues; Stranger Things; Good Wife; Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Dog Kisses on the mouth?
What does Jordan do that annoys you?
- He constantly reminds me of what I have not done and what I need to do next…
What’s your favorite class at Thrive? Why?
- Impossible to say. Each class supports a different mood, need, desire. It really depends on the day. We are so blessed to have the best teacherS in Charlotte.
If you could have one Super Power, what would it be?
- To change the way medicine is delivered in Charlotte so patients can finally achieve health.
Do you believe pineapple should be on pizza? (Gluten-Free, of course)
[maxbutton id=”4″ url=”https://thrivecarolinas.com/functional-and-integrative-medicine/thriver-medical-membership/” text=”Become a Thriver!” ]