Why Should I Care if My Functional Medicine Provider is Certified?
Many providers practice elements of functional medicine. However, it is important to recognize that there is a difference from a functional medicine practice and a CERTIFIED Functional Medicine Practice. Let’s explain.
Becoming a Certified Functional Medicine provider requires training and education from The Institute for Functional Medicine. The IFM is the global leader in Functional Medicine education. They offer physicians and healthcare professionals a holistic systems-based approach to prevention, diagnosis, and comprehensive management of complex chronic disease.
Why Should I Care if my Functional Medicine provider is Certified?
IFM’s Certification Program (IFMCP) has been developed by the foremost thought leaders in the field. IFM’s educators have a depth of experience and knowledge honed by years of practice expanding their commitment to the ongoing development of core concepts, tools, and applications.
By working with a Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner patients should understand:
- Certified Functional Medicine Practitioners must keep their knowledge of Functional Medicine current. Certified practitioners have to pass an initial board exam and retake this exam every few years.
- You will spend more time with a functional provider. On average 45 minutes. During this time expect to do a lot of talking. A large part of Functional Medicine is exploring your detailed personal and family history.
- Certified Functional Medicine Practitioners uncover the underlying causes of your health problems. They get to the root of your problem through careful history taking, physical examination, and laboratory testing.
- They’re trained in a holistic systems approach. Defining evidence-based goals to get to the root cause of your pain.
- Certified Functional Medicine Practitioners use a Science-based approach backed with data and research to diagnose and treat your problems.
There are many providers that practice functional medicine without being certified. There is the potential that they are not up to date with practices and procedures or do not understand how to implement a systems-based approach to your treatment. To find a Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner in your area click here.
Thrive is currently the only Certified Functional Medicine group practice in Charlotte, North Carolina. They are currently accepting new patients.