Creamy Wild Mushroom and Thyme Pasta Sauce
December 16, 2021
Mushrooms are the definition of medicinal. Make sure you mix it up and use a variety of mushrooms to add to the depth and flavor this recipe provides.
This recipe was a hit from the original Food as Medicine series.
- 1 T EVOO ¼ c dry sherry
- 2 shallots, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 T fresh thyme
- ¾ c vegetable broth salt and pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 lb of wild mushrooms mixture of shiitake, enoki, oyster, maitake, sliced in thin strips
- ½ cup cashew cream (see recipe below)
- Sauté garlic and shallots in oil until translucent. Add mushrooms and cook on high for 5-8 minutes. Add stock and sherry and mix well. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Stir in tomatoes and thyme and simmer for 10 minutes. Reduce heat and add cashew cream. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and serve with pasta cooked al dente (slightly chewy).
- Look for a pasta without refined white flour. Semolina, brown rice, and zucchini noodles are great options. Cooking al dente gives the pasta a lower glycemic index.
- Cashew Cream/Milk. Soak 1 cup of cashews in water for 4 hours or overnight. Drain. Add to a high-speed blender with ¾-1 cup filtered water. Add water if needed to make a thinner consistency.