Did you happen to try the recipes from our Plantains Prepared Two Ways article? If so, you have a jump start on this yummy Central American snack!
Patacones (Green Plantain Crisps)
- 4 green plantains
- 1 t salt
- Avocado oil
- Peel plantains and cut into 6-8 rounds. Fry in hot oil until golden.
- Place on cutting board and smash with glass or rolling pin. Sprinkle with salt, return to pan, and fry again until crispy.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
- You can top it with black bean dip and cheese or avocado.
Black Bean Dip
- 4 c cooked black beans
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- ¼ c cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 strips of cooked nitrate-free bacon, crumbled (optional)
- ¼ c sour cream
- 1 t hot sauce
- 1 T coconut sugar
- 1 T Linzano or Worcestershire sauce
- Blend beans in a food processor until the consistency is creamy.
- Cook bacon. Sauté onion and garlic in avocado oil.
- Add all ingredients except bacon and sour cream. Cook over medium heat to thicken. Allow to cool, and then add sour cream and bacon.
- Serve with chips or on top of patacones.