Slow Steamed Artichokes
May 10, 2022
Artichokes are great prebiotics and make your good gut microbes incredibly happy.
When they are happy they will reward you with health benefits. Artichokes can be intimidating but are well worth the effort. Try with a Lemon Dijon dipping sauce or with a vinaigrette in place of butter.
- 4-6 artichokes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 slices of lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Cut stems flush with the base of the artichoke so it can stand flat. Cut an inch off the top and snip off the tips of leaves.
- Arrange artichokes stem end down and packed together in a slow cooker. Add water, lemon, and garlic.
- Cover and cook on low until each leaf are tender and separates without resistance (about 7 hours)
- Variation: Can also steam in a steamer for 25-30 minutes using the same preparation.
- Variation: Try cooking in a steamer then throwing it on the grill to brown for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Can dip leaves in aioli, grass-fed butter, a Lemon Dijon dressing, or Vinaigrette