adapted from Forks Over Knives – Recipe Courtesy Pharmacy In Your Kitchen
This summer salad is gorgeous and nutritious. It takes advantage of summer’s peaches and blueberries and combines them with healthy ancient grain pasta, spicy arugula greens, and a simple dressing.
Grilling the peaches gives a wonderful sweetness to this dish and this can be done on a traditional grill or with a grill pan on the stove.
- 4 cups dried ancient grain penne pasta
- 4 firm, ripe peaches, halved and pitted
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 5 oz fresh arugula
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Place the peach halves cut side down on a hot traditional grill or on a stove using a greased grill pan that is very hot. Cook for about 8 minutes or until desired grill marks appear. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Cut peach halves again into quarters and set aside.
- In a small bowl, make the dressing by whisking together the zest, lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl or salad platter, combine the pasta, arugula, blueberries, and peaches, and toss with some of the dressing as desired. Save the remaining dressing for other salads and marinades.
*This salad holds up well for at least an hour after it is dressed so it can be made ahead if desired.