Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup
We featured this yummy sweet potato & Coconut Soup dish during our 30 Day Detox Series and it did not disappoint.
It’s simple, sweet and tasty enough for the kids. Give a try this weekend!
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes ( about 3 large) rinsed
- One tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 2-in piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- One tablespoon red curry paste
- 15 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Put sweet potatoes on an oven rack and bake for 50 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and let cool.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onion and ginger until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Stir in the curry paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the coconut milk and broth and gently bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover and cook for 5 minutes.
Skin the potatoes and cut into 10inch chunks. Add the potatoes to the soup and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and salt. Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Drizzle the sesame oil evenly over the servings. Garnish with cilantro.
- To thicken, you can smash some of the potato chunks with a fork or hand blender.
- Add lentils to give the soup a hearty base.