Tuscan Chicken, Bean and Spinach Soup is a complete meal containing very little fat and loads of fiber and flavor that the whole family will enjoy!
Thanks to our friends at MyRecipes for sharing this healthy pick for the upcoming holidays!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon grass-fed butter (unsalted)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped carrots (3 medium)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (about 6 oz)
- 2 cups chopped peeled butternut squash (about 1-3/4 pounds)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups organic chicken broth (preferably homemade)
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth (homemade)
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups shredded, cooked chicken (from the homemade broth)
- 2 slices Applewood-smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- 10 ounces fresh spinach
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add butter, stirring until melted. Do not brown.
- Add onion and next 4 ingredients (through garlic); cook slowly for 3 minutes stirring frequently.
- Mash ¼ c beans with a fork. Add beans, broths, and Italian seasoning to pan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 mins or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken; cook until heated. Add black pepper and spinach, stirring occasionally until spinach wilts.
- Top each serving with 5 teaspoons cheese and 1-1/2 teaspoons bacon.