In the spirit of our Healing Your Gut series we’re sharing a lovely recipe from Michael Mosley’s perfect meal for the gut.
This recipe is packed with vegetables that are rich in phytonutrients, which have great health benefits because of their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. “Eating them helps to preserve the microbial balance in the gut.”
- ½ cup red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 small-medium carrot, grated or finely sliced
- ½ cup red capsicum, deseeded and sliced
- 4 tinned artichoke hearts, drained (they taste even better scorched on a hot griddle)
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 4-5 broccoli florets, steamed
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- 2tbsp mixed seeds, toasted
Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing
- 200ml olive oil
- 50ml live (raw) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove
- A handful of fresh coriander
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl or container, mix the cooled roast pumpkin with the spinach, broccoli, sliced red cabbage, carrot, red capsicum and artichoke hearts.
- Add the boiled eggs, then scatter the seeds, diced avocado and coriander leaves on top.
- Make your dressing and put it in a small screw-top jar if you’re taking it to work, so you can dress your salad at lunchtime.